Take a Peek at these Eye Wellness Tips
An estimated 20,000 eye injuries occur in the workplace each year (The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Over 2,000 Americans suffer an eye injury every day, amounting to almost one million Americans experiencing some form of vision loss (Eye Med).
Though most workplace eye injuries occur in construction, manufacturing and mining positions, digital eye strain from working on computers all day every day can impair vision as well. Being in in the digital media and advertising industry, every employee here at Mopdog spends roughly 40 hours a week working on the computer, staring at an artificial light that can damage your vision. And then you have to take into account the extra time after hours spent on phones and tablets or watching TV.
In honor of Workplace Eye Wellness Month, we’ve compiled a few tips from Eye Med on how to better protect your eyes:
- Adjust your screen. Angle your screen so your eyes aren’t focused directly on the artificial light. Anti-glare screens are also gentler on your eyes.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, for 20 seconds, focus on something at least 20 feet away from you.
- Blink! It seems obvious, but it’s so important. When you get focused on a task, it can be easy to stare longer, forget to blink and dry your eyes out.
- Consider artificial tears. Eye drops can prevent dry eyes and improve comfort while working at the computer.
- Stay hydrated. Believe it or not, drinking water makes a huge difference, especially during the winter when heated rooms create dry air.
- Schedule eye exams. Maintaining regular checkups is essential to making sure your eyes are protected and not straining at work. Don’t hesitate to visit an eye doctor if you notice changes in your vision.
In addition to Eye Med’s tips, Project Manager Pauline Cornelius recommends downloading eyeCare on your computer. This Chrome app and others similar to it offer notifications every half hour or so reminding users to look away from the computer to give their eyes a rest. The app even provides eye exercises to perform at each break. Consider any of these tips to better protect your eyes at work, as the importance of maintaining eye wellness in our industry cannot be overstated.
Did you know your online meeting space can have a custom, on-brand look for your organization?…Read More
We decided to take a fun outlook on social distancing and created a fun guide that…Read More