A Video Goes Viral
You have probably seen this video and heard about it from multiple sources. A homeless man in Columbus, Ohio named Ted Williams is recorded using “his God-given gift of voice”. The video is posted on Youtube on January 3rd, then begins the viral spread.
January 3: Original video is first posted on Youtube. It begins to spread initially through Facebook according to the Youtube video stats.
January 4: Less than a full day in and already over 2 million views on Youtube. Everyone and their mom is on Facebook so naturally news organizations pick up on it. Then the bloggers and the internet echo chamber is in effect.
January 5: Williams appears on a local radio morning show where he is offered a voice over job with the Cleveland Cavaliers as well as a house.
AOL News detailed his job offers:
- The Cleveland Cavaliers: A representative of the Cavs called into “The Morning Zoo” on WNCI, a local Ohio station, this morning to offer Williams a full-time voice-over job and a house.
- The NFL: No offer has been made yet, but a director of post-production from the NFL told The Columbus Dispatch, “My boss said to me: ‘If you don’t get him hired, you’re fired.’ … I can’t make any guarantees, but I’d love to get him some work.”
- The Ohio Credit Union League: Also on WNCI this morning, Williams was offered a $10,000 opportunity to do voice-over work for the Ohio Credit Union League, pending a background check.
- MTV: Someone claiming to be from MTV called into “The Morning Zoo” to say that they’d love to work with Williams.
- ESPN: According to WNCI, ESPN has expressed interest in Williams, too.
- Radio: A Pennsylvania radio station is apparently interested in Williams.
- Giving back: The television station WBNS-TV wants to use Williams as a narrator for One Day To End Homelessness, a telethon planned for Jan. 31.
January 6 – As of this posting the video has nearly 12 million views but has been taken down claiming “This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Zeiger, Tigges”. There goes lawyers to ruin all the fun.
Quote on Youtube from the guy who took the video:
“Well everyone. You can give yourselves and Ted a high-five. He’s being given offers hand-over-fist over the air. He’ll be set for life.”
Behold the power of the Internet. Homeless on the street corner Tuesday. Flown to New York to appear on TV shows Thursday. Not bad.
Did you know your online meeting space can have a custom, on-brand look for your organization?…Read More