In observation of Memorial Day, we will be closing the office Monday, May 29th. We appreciate those who have served our country.
From the Mopdog family to yours, we wish you a wonderful weekend with your loved ones!
DID YOU KNOW:
- Celebrating Memorial Day began after the Civil War in Waterloo, New York. There are several towns that claim to be the ”originators” of Memorial Day but in 1966, President Johnson named Waterloo, New York as the original place of Memorial Day.
- It was first known as Decoration Day. The holiday was long known as Decoration Day for the practice of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths and flags. Federal law declared “Memorial Day” the official name in 1967.
- Memorial Day originally honored military personnel who died in the Civil War. It was meant to honor the Union and the Confederate soldiers who died during the American Civil War. By the 1900s, it had become a day to celebrate all American soldiers who died while serving in the military.
- The flag is to be flown at both half-mast and full mast. The flag is supposed to be flown at half-mast until noon, and then raised to full mast until sunset on Memorial Day.
- Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer vacation season. It’s estimated that approximately 32 million people travel by car over Memorial Day weekend.